22.1.07

Well:

So I'm watching a DVD today when suddenly the sound goes out. I hit mute a couple of times, but no joy. Then the whole thing dies and there's a pop. There are two more pops and the player starts smoking before I can get it unplugged. I guess to a certain extent you get what you pay for on a $50 AU player (it's less than 4 months old), but the smoking thing is a bit concerning.

The place I bought it from is not open and the company doesn't have a 24 hour number so I can't call and see if there is some sort of warranty, though I suspect not. Perhaps the smoke gives me a bit of leeway. Also, the DVD, which is part of a set and cannot easily be replaced, is stuck in there. Sigh.

In happier news, I passed my dive physical, with a fantastic FEV/FVC of 92%. How did I almost fail that test last June? It makes no sense. The doctor was an ex-military guy who was convinced I was service (and Canadian) and was so sure that I was fit to dive that I couldn't have failed, I think.

So hopefully I'll finally get certified (for diving...Jesus!) in February on the south coast. Exciting.