20.4.07

No spitting:

I see Beijing is trying to clean up its image for the Olympics. While I did enjoy some of the hilarious English translations (though my personal favorite is still the bar that was open "7pm till drunk" in Vientiane), the spitting is really disgusting and unsanitary. It was quite a relief to get to Vietnam and no longer hear the "Hooorrrrrrrk....pteh" on the streets again.

I find the lack of queuing in China really surprising, too. One would think that a place that is so crowded would have developed elaborate public manners to deal with crowds. But it is not the case at all. No one waits for others to exit the metro, getting off of planes is a free-for-all (and tiny stinky lady behind me going to Vietnam, when one has to catch a bus from the plane to the terminal it does you exactly no good to shove me down to try to get past since we are all just going to sit on the bus. And my elbow slipped, I swear), and queuing doesn't happen. People will walk by you as you're obviously queuing for something, turn around and look at you, and still push their way in front. I don't understand, really.